Monday, November 30, 2009

Chapter seventeen

17.

I had gotten used to life being normal again by the end of the week. It seemed like things had slowed down, and that was good. In fact, I had almost forgotten about a lot of the dramatic events that had happened in the week before. Until I was walking home from school with James, on Friday.
“So do you want to watch a movie, or what? Maybe we could see if the guys want to hang out?” I asked, and looked at James, waiting for a reply. I didn't get one, not exactly. He was looking down at the sidewalk, obviously thinking. “James?”
“Do you remember what I told you about R? About being careful?” He asked, looking at me suddenly.
“Yeah. I guess, I remember most of it at least.”
“Well don't forget it. Okay?”
“What are you talking about?” I had also just gotten to the point where I wasn't confused all the time. I didn't want to go back there.
“I'm just kind of worried for him, Shane.”
Oh, is that all? “So am I. He's my best friend, after all. But he's doing fine.”
James just looked down again. “If you say so.”
Why can't James just leave well enough alone? I thought. I was determined to find out the truth that time. Before when he had warned me, I hadn't found any evidence. So I couldn't prove anything to myself, or to James. I couldn't prove that things were okay. So I resolved to do that. I was sure I would find proof. I was sure...
But a little tiny piece inside of me was nagging. Thinking, James can't be completely wrong all the time. He's not stupid. So he must be right. I tried my best to shrug that feeling, but I couldn't. It wouldn't go away. And it won't go away until I get proof. So, I'm going to get proof!
By the time we reached my house, James seemed to have completely forgotten about the conversation, and I pretended that I had. We called Mike and Kyle, and decided to get together to have a “homework party”. It was Kyle's idea.
“My mom won't let me do anything otherwise,” he said.
So we agreed to meet – at my house that time! I was surprised, and almost declined, but it made the most sense. And I knew my mom would be ecstatic when she found out I was having three friends over. So I agreed. I wasn't sure exactly how well our homework thing would do, since James and I were sophomores, Kyle was a junior, and Mike was a senior. But we worked it out.

“Whoo! Pin 'im, man!” Mike roared at the TV. We had finished most of our assignments, and were watching professional wrestling as a reward. I was in the kitchen microwaving some popcorn, while the other three guys were busy hollering at the television screen.
“Hey Shane,” James walked into the kitchen. “They want to know if you have any soda. Mike says it can't be diet.”
“Yeah, in the fridge.” I pointed. He promptly headed over there, searching through our drinks until he found one he liked. The popcorn was just starting to pop when I heard the phone ring.
“I'll get it!” I said, running into the living room, where the closest phone was. Kyle had muted the TV, and I was thankful. The phone rang a second time, and I had just entered the phone, when I saw Mike pick it up.
“Hello?” I turned, letting Mike get it, until I heard him say something that caught my attention. “No, this is his friend Mike. Uh-huh. Okay, just a minute.” He turned to me, sly smile on his face. “Shane, it's for you. ...It's Sophia.”
“Ooooooh.” That was James, returned from the kitchen with soda cans in hand.
I snatched up the phone from Mike, but resisted the temptation to leave the room. “Hi, Sophia.”
“Hey, Shane. You have friends over?”
“Yeah, but they're watching TV. What'd you want?”
“I was just wondering... what in the world is that hooting noise?” Ahh! I turned to the guys, who were the source of 'that hooting noise'. “Shut the heck up!” I hissed to them. They continued hooting, but significantly quieter. “Ah, sorry about that. It's the guys, they're... being stupid. Watching wrestling, they, uh, kinda get into it sometimes.”
“...That's weird. But guys will be guys, I guess. Who's over there, anyway? Is R there?”
“No. Just James, Kyle, and Mike.”
“Just? Hey, isn't Mike a senior?”
“Yep.”
“Cool.” She sounded impressed. Score! I thought.
“So wait, what did you want?”
“Oh. I was just wondering if you want to go to a movie and get some pizza with me and probably R tomorrow afternoon.”
“Um, that sounds fun. I don't think I'm doing anything tomorrow. What movie?”
The conversation went on for a few more minutes, until I said goodbye and hung up. I turned around, faced my friends, and laughed out loud. The three were piled on top of each other on the couch, looking at me with faces so eager they looked like little puppy dogs.
“Hey, what's the big deal?” Kyle asked, frowning a little. “What's so funny?”
“Your... faces!” I managed to burst out. Not a good idea. They pounced on me, tackling me to the floor, until we were engaged in our own wrestling match. Mom came in and put a stop to it, though, sending us outside.
We played a little basketball, played some football, even played a small game of soccer. Then James' mom pulled up in her car to take her son home, though, and the game broke up. Mike drove Kyle home.
“Bye!” I waved, and then headed back inside, shivering now that I wasn't exercising.
“Shane?” Mom asked when I entered the house, stomping mud off my boots.
“Right here, Mom. The guys are gone.”
I walked into the kitchen, where she was up to her elbows in flour.
“Yum, cinnamon bread!”
“Pull up a chair and help!” She gestured. I grabbed a table chair and sat down, my stomach leaning into the back of the chair. Not helping, but watching. “Did you have a good time with your friends?”
I laughed, expecting some kind of interrogation. “Yes, Mom. We had fun.”
“What did you do?” She punched the loaf of bread, making me jump.
“Uh, homework. And watched some wrestling on TV.”
She gave me 'a look'. “When I came it, it sure didn't look like you were watching any wrestling!”
I laughed, snatching up a spare piece of bread dough and going to my bedroom.
Hmm hmm hmm hmm. I was bored. I supposed I could go downstairs and help with the cooking, but I really didn't want to. I didn't have any good books to read at the moment. Nothing good was on TV, and I didn't feel like watching anyway. Didn't feel like playing computer. Didn't feel like doing anything! So I just lay on my bed. Thoughts meandering, going nowhere in particular. I heard the front door open and slam, announcing Dad's arrival. That meant dinner would be soon, but I wasn't very hungry. I thought back to Sophia's phone call. Oh, I need to ask Mom if I can go. I'm sure she'll say yes, though. She just seems to love Sophia. I don't know why. What is it with them? They're always acting like they have some secret these days.
“Shane!” A voice came from downstairs, from the kitchen. “Dinner's ready, so if you want any before your mother and I eat it you'd better get down here fast!”
“Not hungry, Dad.” I called back. “I had a bunch of snacks this afternoon.”
Dad yelled something back that I didn't hear, but I didn't really care much either. I rolled over on my right side, then onto my left side. I felt my eyes getting heavy, my eyelids drooping. Go to sleep... No, wait, don't go to sleep! I was arguing with myself. My brain and my body didn't always see the same way sometimes. Nah. I'm gonna sleep... sleep... I was out like a light in about half an hour.

Ouch. Is the sun always so danged bright when I woke up? My first thought when I woke on Saturday morning was not a very contented one. My second thought was rather shocked. Whoa, how long did I sleep? Rubbing the still lingering sleep out of my eyes, I pulled my legs out from under the covers, not even remembering putting them there in the first place. I was still in my clothes from the day before, though slightly more wrinkled than they had been. Eh, I feel like blech. One of my favorite things to say, although I didn't really like the circumstances that I said it in.
You know how not enough sleep can make you feel groggy, grumpy, and sometimes somewhat hungover? Well, getting too much sleep can do that to you, too. Or at least, to me. I didn't feel very good. But I got up, not bothering to pull any fresh clothes on. I still hadn't asked Mom about going to the movie with R and Sophia. I had forgotten to even mention it. How could I have fallen asleep? I didn't remember being all that tired. But I had slept, and slept soundly, too.
Mom's fresh baked cinnamon bread was sitting on the kitchen table when I entered. I could tell another loaf was baking, and the smell made my stomach rumble. I might not have needed dinner, but there was no way I could skip breakfast. Neither of my parents were anywhere in sight, though. I didn't think anything about it, just sliced myself some bread, and poured a cup of orange-strawberry-banana juice. I was consuming my breakfast greedily when Dad entered the room.
“Hey, look who's up. You sure surprised us last night when we went to check on you and found you asleep, snoring like, well, your mother!”
“Whoa, Dad, you'd better watch out!” My mom had entered the room just in time to hear the end of his sentence, and she was tapping her foot, arms crossed, looking both amused and angered.
“So I snore, do I? Well, at least I'm not the one who always hogs the blankets!”
They started bickering, bantering playfully, and I could tell they were both in unusually good moods. The weekend could do that to them sometimes. Now's as good a time as any for asking! I thought.
“Hey, Mom (and Dad).” They paused their fake argument to look at me.
“Yeah?”
“Is it all right if I go to a movie with R and Sophia today?” I actually didn't care all that much about seeing a movie, but I wanted to see R. Seeing him alone would be better, but having Sophia there might give me a little courage. I needed to ask him. I needed details. Needed proof. Needed, more than wanted.
“Sure,” my dad said.
“What movie?” Asked my mom.
I was surprised she wanted to know, but it wasn't like I was hiding anything from them. “Uh I think it's something about a dog. Or maybe it was a farmer. Ask Sophia if you want, she's the one who picked it out.”
“Okay!” Mom's face brightened when I mentioned Sophia's name the second time. I couldn't help but wonder if she hadn't heard me say it the first time. I couldn't help it.

2 comments:

Alice said...

Good, as usual. :D

Critique: " The phone rang a second time, and I had just entered the phone, when I saw Mike pick it up." I think I got confused here...doesn't make sense to me.

Megan said...

Wow did I really say 'entered the phone'? Haha. This is why I usually edit my stuff. =P
supposed to be entered the room, or reached the phone, or something like that.